[development] Status update: WYSIWYG support in Drupal core

Mikkel Høgh m at ooh.dk
Wed May 27 10:16:09 UTC 2009

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 5:58 PM, larry at garfieldtech.com
<larry at garfieldtech.com> wrote:
> Yours is not the only use case or workflow that Drupal needs to support.
>  Whoever you are or whatever your use case, that statement still holds true.
>
> --Larry Garfield

I think that is spot on, and perhaps should be promoted to the
official motto of this list.

For the record, I do not think that having WYSIWYG in core is the way
to go. I'm quite comfortable with being able to tack on Markdown, with
or without helpful buttons, WYSIWYG with HTMLawed or just use plain
text based on customer preference.

I think having the WYSIWYG API in core would be encouraging a specific
workflow that core has no business encouraging.

More importantly, I think the default response to any sort of "add x
to core" shoud be a loud and resounding "NO". In my opinion, core
should be as slim and lean as possible. We might consider having more
distributions, like "Drupal ready to go with WYSIWYG, blog and image
gallery", but adding that to the code weight being dragged around
across thousands of servers would be wasteful.

Saying "no" to adding more stuff to core would actually be a great way
to reduce your carbon emissions ;)
--
Kind regards,
Mikkel Høgh