[development] Status update: WYSIWYG support in Drupal core

andrew morton drewish at katherinehouse.com
Wed May 27 15:56:01 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 6:16 AM, Mikkel Høgh <m at ooh.dk> wrote:
> More importantly, I think the default response to any sort of "add x
> to core" shoud be a loud and resounding "NO". In my opinion, core
> should be as slim and lean as possible. We might consider having more
> distributions, like "Drupal ready to go with WYSIWYG, blog and image
> gallery", but adding that to the code weight being dragged around
> across thousands of servers would be wasteful.

Not to pick on you specifically but I think this kind of a rigid,
absolute thinking is actually as harmful to the project as the idea
that core should be all things to all people. In my mind core should
be about providing APIs that enable contrib.

So while I'd agree that Drupal core should probably not ship with a
WYSIWYG editor, it should provide APIs to make it easy to add them in
contrib--the subject of this thread is WYSIWYG support after all. Any
time you have 5-10 modules doing roughly the same thing in
incompatible ways it's time to look at creating core APIs to allow
them to work together and not duplicate the same functionality. The
successful examples that come to my mind are node access modules from
4.7 to 5 and file modules from 6 to 7 (though it remains to be seen
how well the file API works in practice).

andrew