[development] CVS Approval Policy: was Re: new features in D6 core?

Ashraf Amayreh mistknight at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 17:26:58 UTC 2009

I'll throw this in and rest my case. Advantages of making it compulsory for
CVS owners (or even first time CVS requestors) to post to dev list and get
an approval:

1. Easy to implement on the Drupal site using node limit. CVS admins would
only need to increment a counter when a user's dev-list-submitted module is
accepted. Virtually no extra effort is required from the CVS admin team.

2. Everyone can be sure that no module will appear on Drupal without having
been sent to the dev list first which is definitely better for informing the
community of new modules and keeping them up to date.

3. Promoting cooperation between developers because all developers will be
informed of a new module idea and can intervene if they find it's a)useless
or b)replicates their own modules or have any other valid c)objection/
d)suggestion.

4. Promoting a check-with-list before you code mentality to avoid writing
code that is rejected.

5. Reduces useless modules on the long run.

The downsides, and let me kill these possible downsides before they arise:

1. Making it more difficult to contribute:
Which in essence tells us that posting to the dev list before creating a
project node is a "BARRIER" to contributions... Unless there are
contributions that must not reach the dev list before becoming projects then
I think this is totally non-sense.

2. Requiring huge effort to implement:
... Really!

--