[development] CVS Approval Policy: was Re: new features in D6 core?

Ashraf Amayreh mistknight at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 11:21:27 UTC 2009

OK. I can't possibly go through all the modules, so what I did was a quick
search in the 6.x modules to see what I can find.

Note that I'm not saying these are EXACT replica of each other, but I'm sure
everyone would agree that it would have been better to collaborate on one
and incorporate all features rather than creating new modules to achieve
*some* added functionality. The ones I'm not sure about I'm adding a
question mark after.

Search "Notify"
   - Comment Notify
   - Notify
   - Comment Subscribe
   - Watchlist (?)
   - Subscriptions
   - Notifications

Search "Aggregation"
   - Aggregation (mine)
   - Content Aggregator
   - Feeds (the successor of feedAPI? I definitely didn't hear anything
about this, was it announced on the dev list? If so, my mistake.)
   - FeedAPI
   - Feed Field (?)
   - KML Parser (FeedAPI addon)
   - FeedAPI comments (FeedAPI addon)
   - FeedAPI Data (FeedAPI addon)
   - ical feed parser (feedAPI addon)
   - CSV parser (feedAPI addon)
   - Planet (?)
   - FeedAPI Image Grabber (feedAPI addon)

If we say that there is only ONE module that mimics another (not 6+ as
above) then the number of modules will drop to about 2500, if we say TWO
modules then it could even fall down to near 1600.

If each module developer HAD TO post to the list before being able to create
his project the result could have been much better. Currently there's no
holding any CVS owner from creating as many new modules without even doing
basic research and no one can know it happened or object to it. I'm VERY
sure this would be different if they HAD TO post to the dev list first
before being able to create their projects. Again, I suggested very
reasonable and easily implementable suggestions that no one has really
addressed directly yet. If my idea is a problem then I would like to someone
to point the drawbacks. Seeing that this will only affect people who already
have a CVS account then please don't use the "barrier" argument as a
response.

Regards,
Ashraf Amayreh