[development] CVS Approval Policy: was Re: new features in D6 core?

Greg Knaddison Greg at GrowingVentureSolutions.com
Thu Nov 19 12:34:46 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 4:21 AM, Ashraf Amayreh <mistknight at gmail.com> wrote:
> Note that I'm not saying these are EXACT replica of each other, but I'm sure
> everyone would agree that it would have been better to collaborate on one
> and incorporate all features rather than creating new modules to achieve
> *some* added functionality. The ones I'm not sure about I'm adding a
> question mark after.
>
> Search "Notify"
>    - Comment Notify
>    - Notify
>    - Comment Subscribe
>    - Watchlist (?)
>    - Subscriptions
>    - Notifications

Please see:

http://groups.drupal.org/node/15928

It explains the difference and is linked from most (if not all) of
those project pages.  There are substantive differences and good
reasons for the duplication (except for comment subscribe, but that
was a short-lived dup which is now marked abandoned).  If anything
this set proves that a review by well meaning but underinformed person
will find non-dupes that appear to be dups and that in fact
duplication is OK or even valuable.

> If each module developer HAD TO post to the list before being able to create
> his project the result could have been much better. Currently there's no
> holding any CVS owner from creating as many new modules without even doing
> basic research and no one can know it happened or object to it. I'm VERY
> sure this would be different if they HAD TO post to the dev list first
> before being able to create their projects. Again, I suggested very
> reasonable and easily implementable suggestions that no one has really
> addressed directly yet. If my idea is a problem then I would like to someone
> to point the drawbacks. Seeing that this will only affect people who already
> have a CVS account then please don't use the "barrier" argument as a
> response.

This is headed in the wrong direction, I think. We should always
strive to make the lives of contributors easier.  Putting up barriers
to contribution is not a way to maintain or accelerate our projects
momentum.

Regards,
Greg

--