[development] Accommodating a second base_url

Jamie Holly hovercrafter at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 29 23:09:58 UTC 2009

Depending on the server setup you could just use $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST']
to figure out your $base_url. You can even do it in settings.php. It
does depend on if your sites use www. or not, or even allows both www.
and not. You could use a little PHP logic in settings.php to figure out
exactly what the HTTP_HOST should be (stripos, strstr, switch case, etc)
and then define a constant for it (say CURRENT_SITE), then in your
page.tpl.php file a little PHP magic:

<duv id="banner" style="background-image:url(images/<?php echo (
CURRENT_SITE=='example.com')?'site1header.jpg':'site2header.jpg'; ?>)">

That way CURRENT_SITE wouldn't matter if you have www.example.com or
example.com. Of course you would set your base_url off of which ever
they are coming from.

That would work for most server setups (I've been doing something
similar on a pretty big site for over a year now). The only real time
you run into problems is on some proxy front ends.

Jamie Holly
http://www.intoxination.net
http://www.hollyit.net