[development] Git.. wat?

Antonio P. P. Almeida perusio at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 01:27:12 UTC 2010

On 30 Abr 2010 02h12 WEST, andrewberry at sentex.net wrote:

> On 2010-04-29, at 5:34 PM, Domenic Santangelo wrote:
>
>> With d.o moving to git, I'm becoming more interested in how it
>> works.
>
> On a related topic, anyone using git in a way like how subversion
> does vendor branches? Currently I do a cvs export => svn with
> svn_load_dirs.pl, and I'd be really interested on any resources on
> how to best do this with core and contrib code.

Well I'm pretty much ignorant in SVN terminology but in Git, a branch
is just a pointer to a given commit. So you can branch as much as you
want.

git checkout -b my_new_branch [old_branch]

Now you're on my_new_branch that was created from old_branch. Work on
it. The old_branch default is HEAD.

git checkout old_branch

You're back on old_branch. That's it.

Git always copies all files that change in a given commit. It doesn't
keep deltas like others SCMs.

--- appa