[development] D6 Content Migration to another D6 Installation

As If Productions everyone at asifproductions.com
Wed Aug 11 21:56:21 UTC 2010

At 02:15 PM 8/11/2010, Phil Glanville wrote:
>would it (in theory) be possible to copy just 'node' or content
>specific db tables without causing serious problems?

Not only in theory, but in practice!  I would never depend on a
module to do this for me, and I do a lot of migrations.  If the two
sites are literally identical (content types, fields, taxonomy), you
can just directly copy the old tables to the new database.  The node
and node_revisions tables are particularly safe in this regard.  CCK
stuff requires more finesse.  In complex cases, a few simple PHP
scripts can connect to both databases and directly query the specific
tables you wish to address.  These scripts can also handle any data
manipulation that needs to occur in order to make the old schema data
fit the new schema (if/when there are any differences between
them).  Basically you write scripts that SELECT data from the old DB
and manipulate them one row at a time into an INSERT query on the
other DB.  The only prerequisite is that you need to be intimately
familiar with the DB schemas, and how various Drupal tables relate to
each other.

Dump both DBs before starting, so you can roll back if anything goes wacky.

LVX
TF

---
As If Productions
http://www.asifproductions.com
Interactive Worlds and Immersive Obsessions