[development] D7 side effect

Sam Tresler sam at treslerdesigns.com
Tue Dec 7 04:02:09 UTC 2010

Discussions about shared vs. dedicated hosting aside...

Why does a default Drupal "install" create all the tables for all the core modules at once, as opposed to when the modules are enabled?  Maybe this has changed and I should go look again, but it seems to me that I have a lot of Drupal sites with, for example:

| poll                     |
| poll_choices             |
| poll_votes               |

tables that I have never once used.

Is there a reason these aren't enabled on demand as opposed to on install?

-Sam

On Mon, 6 Dec 2010, Randy Fay wrote:

> It's my oft-stated opinion that no non-trivial site will ever live happily
> for long on shared hosting. Trivial sites do fine. I have my D7 blog on
> Dreamhost, which has unlimited everything. But you see, it's not really
> unlimited, because they kill long-running processes, etc., etc.  So it's
> fine for a site that does not have many visitors or lots of modules.
> Dreamhost and some other hosts are even fine where you have lots and lots of
> databases or files. But it's the actual use where they get you.
>
> -Randy
>
> On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 2:49 PM, Shai Gluskin <shai at content2zero.com> wrote:
>
>> Jeff,
>>
>> Kudos to you for finding a shared host where you can get decent
>> performance, from your perspective, for such a set-up.
>>
>> I just had one bad experience after another with Drupal on shared hosting.
>> I finally caved  and got a dedicated box with support.
>>
>> The amount I pay for a dedicated server is paid back to me many times in
>> therapy bills I save.
>>
>> In my case, I was always yelling at the shared host for lousy performance
>> before they would come to me complaining I'm using too many resources. But
>> all the power to ya' if you and your clients have been happy.
>>
>> The host coming after you, however, is to be expected.
>>
>> best,
>>
>> Shai
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 3:24 PM, <jeff at ayendesigns.com> wrote:
>>
>>> For those who don't have the few minutes: it's an expression of joy!

> --
> Randy Fay
> Drupal Module and Site Development
> randy at randyfay.com