[development] Distributing "bi-modal" Drupal modules

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Wed Feb 17 07:37:33 UTC 2010

For a project like CiviCRM, I would definitely encourage them to separate as
much code as possible out into "agnostic" libraries that would work under
Drupal 6, Drupal 7, or Joomla and just have a compatibility layer for each one
that ties into the APIs for that host system.  That's a very common approach
in systems programming.  What I would discourage is shipping a single tarball
that contains both the Drupal 6 and Drupal 7 bridge code (and the Joomla
bridge code?  Why not?).  I cannot see a reason to do so; offering a separate
download for each is not hard, and with proper source code management
maintaining two branches shouldn't be hard either.  They already have to to
support Drupal and Joomla anyway.

I'm certainly not discouraging Civi or anyone else from maintaining a Drupal 6
version of a module after Drupal 7 is released.  It's just a matter of how
they do so.  I do not believe that Mac-style "fat binaries" are the correct
approach.

--Larry Garfield