[development] Why is Overlay in core?

Gábor Hojtsy gabor at hojtsy.hu
Tue Jan 5 15:41:55 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 4:33 PM, Brian Vuyk <brian at brianvuyk.com> wrote:
>>  Have you tried opening admin links in new tabs and it did not work as
>>  it did before?
>
> Of course it works. But they open in the overlay again, which presents me
> with a smaller working area, and really nothing added except a shiny-looking
> AJAX / JS annoyance. If people are doing opening Overlay in tabs anyways,
> what is the point of having Overlay at all?

I'm getting you open in new tab but then open links in that tab, which
will indeed use the overlay. It will not remember you did not want it
to open in the overlay, because opening new tabs is not designed to
sidestep the overlay but to "branch" your admin work (just as it did
before). Drupal remembering that you started using the admin pages in
a full browser window (by opening a new tab for example), so it will
not open overlays sounds like a possibly good feature request turned
out in your personal user testing.

Gábor