[development] Multiple modules, multiple versions, in Eclipse

Syscrusher syscrusher at 4th.com
Sun Jun 6 17:26:03 UTC 2010

Greetings, all

After some time away from Drupal due to work responsibilities, I have
found myself able to return to module development (and I'm really glad
of this!).

I decided, since my local development environment was already outdated,
to make the jump to Eclipse instead of continuing to code in vi and
update CVS manually. I've used Eclipse for Java work but not for PHP
previously.

I got Eclipse up and running and editing my code, and was able to
checkout and commit changes to my modules. Three modules that hadn't
been updated for months now have new updates awaiting release.

Where I ran into trouble is in managing the branch tags, and I think
it's because of the way I set things up in Eclipse. Right now, I have
one workspace called "drupal" and a project called "drupal-6-contrib",
and I imported code for my three modules using the CVS checkout feature
of Eclipse to select the correct branch. Eclipse can't find the branch
or version tags for the individual code folders, even though it *did*
find them when I did the initial checkout and commit.

I need to be able to manage my modules for multiple Drupal core
versions, and also for multiple modules, and I'm looking for advice from
others as to the "best practices" for doing this. How did you partition
your development environment as far as workspace, project, and folder
levels, with regard to Drupal core and module versioning standards?

There are lots of articles on d.o and on the web at-large about setting
up the Eclipse mechanics, but I haven't found anything on this
particular topic that talks about being able to do multiple versions
concurrently.

Ideally, I'd like to keep this in a single workspace so I can cut and
paste code when forward-porting or back-porting, but that may not be
practical.

Thanks for any advice.

Kind regards,

Scott