[development] Development Advice

Michael Favia michael at favias.org
Tue Jun 29 22:27:01 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 5:10 PM, Chompz Admin <chompzer at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am new to Drupal and I am trying to create a website that would allow
> people to search for and vote on items. I have been considering creating my
> own custom module or using the CCK framework.
Welcome to drupal. Unfortunately, it is generally accepted that this
isnt a particularly good use of this list (unless I'm mistaken?)
Ignoring that for a moment as you are a new developer, here are some
contrib modules to research before you reinvent the wheel.

> The page will have a series of filtering options, which users could select
> by clicking on buttons and check boxes.
CCK faceted search maybe?

> This input would be used to query my database for items that have a similar
> description and return a image and information of similar items to the user.
lucene, porter stemmer, not sure on this one.

> (For the images, I am planning to store the image location on the database
> and use location to retrieve the image from the file system.)
Imagefield, imageapi, imagecache

> After these items are displayed the user should be able to vote on one item
> and this data would be tracked. Users should also able to undo their vote
> and vote on a new item.
Fivestar, flag module or build something on voting api.

Good luck and please consider joining IRC or use the support list for
future emails like this.
-mf