[development] Survey for a Master Thesis about Open Source CMS

Michael Haggerty mhaggerty-lists at trellon.com
Tue Mar 2 02:46:13 UTC 2010

Gerhard -

If you are going to tell someone their survey displays a lack of
proper grammar, please proofread your polemics before sending. The
egregious errors in your spelling make my eyes hurt each time they
fall upon them, and I really wish you would just buy a dictionary
instead of trying to hack it all the time.

That kid is a business major from Belgium. There's about a 95% chance
he will be working at a bank in a year in a role where his English
language skills will prove completely useless. There is a good chance
his major job function for the next decade will be standing outside
sporting events in Eastern Europe trying to get people to sign up for
credit cards. I am sure he does not care about how poorly he grasps
the English language even after reading your letter.

While I don't know what he plans on doing with the data he collects,
the chances of him getting real opinions from an actual representative
sample of open source developers with this strategy is very low,
probably less than 5%. It's clear he has not taken the time to
research the people he wants to connect with or found a way to ask for
information in a compelling manner that makes people want to help him.
I mean, there's not even a $10 Amazon.com gift certificate up for
grabs - even part time business majors from community colleges
recognize the importance of incentivizing respondents.

This lack of situational awareness does indicate more serious
intellectual flaws which professors are exceptional at identifying.
These deficits will probably be recognized before any academic
institution grants a degree over this 'thesis'.

Given these factors, the joint probability of this survey actually
uncovering something interesting is terribly low (far less than 1%).
Do as you wish, but I don't see where getting all uppity about a
bumbling, misguided attempt at academic accomplishment is worth all
the effort of critiquing it. It is a far better thing to give him
completely false data in the survey or repost his request to 4chan /
Something Awful so it can be dealt with in an entertaining manner by a
more appropriate agent.

All the best,