[development] Hook_init issue

nan wich nan_wich at bellsouth.net
Mon Mar 15 22:22:44 UTC 2010

It's back to the drawing board...

I have a module that uses hook_init to check for the presence of a particular cookie. If it is there, then I call an external authentication server (this is mandatory at this customer). This all works fine until...

We turn page caching on and all of a sudden, no more hook_init. Okay, read the fine print and it says that's what is supposed to happen.

So I switched to hook_boot. Well, apparently is does excute, but the drupal_http_request in the authentication function says there is no such animal.

We would really like to turn caching on, but we must have this authentication check too. For the moment we can turn caching off, but one week into the site and we are already taxing the server with traffic.

Options?

Nancy E. Wichmann, PMP