[development] D7 AJAX API change: Submit and Validation

Alex Bronstein alex at craftyspace.com
Sat Mar 27 00:45:13 UTC 2010

Small clarification to this: #1 and #2 are true for when the triggering
element is not a submit button or image button (or more precisely, when
its #executes_submit_callback property isn't true, which by default is
only for submit buttons and image buttons). So for example, when
clicking a checkbox directly triggers AJAX. When an AJAX-enabled submit
or image button triggers an AJAX submission, then by default, validation
errors are reported and either the button's #submit handlers or the
FORM_ID_submit() function do get executed as you're used to from D6
AHAH. In D7, a button can set #submit and #limit_validation_errors to
empty arrays in order act the same as a non-button in this regard.

Hopefully, D7 FAPI and AJAX documentation will help make all this
clearer. Randy, can you please send the documentation link you intended
to send in the PS. The issue URL got pasted instead.

-Alex.