[development] "Package" misuse

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Thu May 13 16:57:49 UTC 2010

nan wich wrote:
> Okay, folks, I am now on a campaign. According to "Writing .info files
> (Drupal 6.x)" [http://drupal.org/node/231036], regarding the use of
> "package" in your .info files:
>
>     "In general, this field should only be used by large multi-module
>     packages, or by modules meant to extend these packages, such as CCK,
>     Views, E-Commerce, Organic Groups and the like. All other modules
>     should leave this blank. As a guideline, four or more modules that
>     depend on each other (or all on a single module) make a good
>     candidate for a package. Fewer probably do not."
>
> I am actively working on a very large site and adding (occasionally
> deleting) modules several times a week. Sometimes they are very hard to
> find because of all those misused "package" designations. Please,
> please, please, if your module does not meet the guidelines, remove that
> line from your .info files so that the module ends up in "Other," where
> it belongs. And please don't tell me about the various module page
> organization modules that the site owner doesn't want added.

Wow, I can't believe it has taken this long for this issue to arise
again in this list.  The advise I received when bringing up this
scenario when it was added in Drupal 5 was, open an issue ticket with a
patch for the offending module.

I've been thinking about a module to list the modules in alphabetic
order by module file name giving the 'package' as a column.  It is
really a headache to try to find that new module you just added to the
file system in the module list.

--
Earnie
-- http://progw.com