[development] "Package" misuse

Kevin Reynen kreynen at gmail.com
Thu May 13 22:53:47 UTC 2010

Earnie,

I'm sure you remember this thread...

http://lists.drupal.org/pipermail/development/2007-May/024136.html

"But I think when people talk about *not* allowing
at-one-time-external GPLed code into the Drupal repository, they're
simply on crack."  -Jeff (Robbins)

The CVS policy (http://drupal.org/node/422996) never changed and is
very clear about exceptions...

"3. Exceptions can be made if the 3rd party library:

   a. had to be modified to work with Drupal and the modifications
were not accepted by the original author.
   b. is generally difficult to find in the needed version.
   c. is no longer maintained by the original author."

Obviously a specific version jquery.js doesn't meet any of these
criteria, yet 3 years later here it is in CVS...

http://drupalcode.org/viewvc/drupal/contributions/modules/jquery_update/replace/jquery.js?revision=1.2.4.1&view=markup

Do you really think someone will enforce the policy on a module used
by 40,000 sites on a developer with as high profile as Jeff?

It's not much of a "policy" if some developers just ignore it.  Why
would you expect any other developers to follow it?  The policy
actually states...

"Maintainers who violate this policy or refuse to correct violations
brought to their attention may have their project unpublished or CVS
access revoked."

Sure they will.  I'll believe the community can enforce policies like
this on developers when I see it.

- Kevin