[development] "Package" misuse

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Thu May 13 21:30:44 UTC 2010

Kevin Reynen wrote:
> I see this issue as being trivial compared to keeping third party code
> like JQuery plugins out of modules and CVS.  That is a policy that's
> blatantly ignored.  I have been trying/failing to get module
> developers to adhere to like this issue in the views_rotator module...
>
> http://drupal.org/node/701926
> http://drupalcode.org/viewvc/drupal/contributions/modules/views_rotator/views-rotator.js?revision=1.6&view=markup
>
> There are 4,000+ sites using that module with an old version of jQuery
> Cycle Plugin that makes it difficult for other modules to leverage
> features of the jQuery Cycle Plugin without going in and hacking the
> .js file in that module.

Yes, that is a bad one too and in my opinion, this one should be brought
the attention of the webmasters [1] so that it can be handled.

> I know there are improvements in the javascript handling in D7 that
> allow one module to override another module's javascript, but that
> doesn't change the fact that developers will ignore any "policy" if
> there is no enforcement.

Again, we, the users are the enforcers.  So if we find something out of
line then we need to bring it to the attention of the administrators.

[1] http://drupal.org/project/issues/webmasters

--
Earnie
-- http://progw.com