[development] "Package" misuse

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Thu May 13 19:08:38 UTC 2010

nan wich wrote:
> I didn't write the guidelines. I just seem to be the only one who has
> read them. If you want to argue about them, then it should be with the
> powers-that-be who own those guidelines.

> *From:* Brian Vuyk
> I tend to think that two related modules probably make a good 'package',
> so they can be found together even with alphabetically distant names.

The point of my earlier email is that we are the enforcers of the
guidelines.  The guidelines state 4 to 5 or more modules with the same
purpose could be group by a package.  The guidelines state that a
package with 4 to 5 or more sub-module could create its own package.
But there is no guideline for what to make the package name.  It only
lists a few that were valid at the time the guidelines were written.
Maybe it is time for the guidelines to be revisited.

--
Earnie
-- http://progw.com