[development] Moving working Drupal environment to another web-hosting server

Bob Hutchinson hutchlists at midwales.com
Mon Nov 8 00:03:55 UTC 2010

On Sunday 07 November 2010, Shai Gluskin wrote:
> Nancy,
>
> I'm not sure what files problem you are talking about.  I ran in files
> directory location problems a lot when upgrading from D5 - D6, but not with
> server moves.
>
> Sometimes with server migrations there can be permissions issues, but that
> has nothing to do with the path, and you are suggesting there is a path
> issue here...
>
> On single instance sites I never use the sites/example.com/files structure.
> I always use: sites/default/files.

The sites/example.com/files structure refers to a multisite environment. If
there are for instance links to images embedded in node bodies they may need
to be changed to suit the new hosting path. One way to do this takes a bit of
skill:
Export the node and node_revisions tables using mysqldump (or phpmyadmin)
Run search and replace over the sql files using a decent text editor or use
the unix sed tool to change the paths to suit the new environment, and once
you are satisfied that the paths are correct import to the new database.

--
Bob Hutchinson