[development] _drupal_wrap_mail_line()

nan wich nan_wich at bellsouth.net
Fri Oct 8 18:47:13 UTC 2010

@Gerhard: 80 lines was how long a punch card was. What a ridiculous reason to
use 80 any more. Are you even old enough to have ever seen a punch card?  I
almost forgot, the original IBM System/3 had punch cards of 96 columns (actually
3 rows of 32). How about if we go back to EBCDIC or even 6 bit character
encoding like I started with?

@Dave: First, core Drupal doesn't send HTML mail; it sends text mail. Second,
not everyone's mail reader (even in these days) accepts HTML mail. I had to
research sending mail for (non-Drupal) client quite a while ago, and IIRC, the
text-based RFC required splitting (or wrapping) text lines. At the very least,
the PHP manual highly suggests it (even now).

I absolutely agree that HTML mail should be left entirely up to the reader, not
the sender.

Nancy