[development] Development platform?

Andrew Berry andrewberry at sentex.net
Sun Sep 12 16:46:16 UTC 2010

On 2010-09-10, at 11:44 PM, Jeff Greenberg wrote:

> 3Gb of memory

You might want to check memory use; if you are using XDebug it can suck up incredible amounts of RAM.

> running Vista.

As mentioned before, another issue. In my experience, on the same hardware, I've always found the LAMP stack to run significantly slower on Windows compared to Linux. With 3GB, I wonder if you're running a 32-bit or 64-bit OS. I've found 64-bit Windows to be a bit faster, while 64-bit *nix will be much faster as all of userland is 64-bit as well. The extra registers in the CPU make a *big* difference.

> I decided I wanted to develop on Linux, so I'm running Vbox with Ubuntu 10.4 as the guest, with 1.5Gb of memory and 50Gb of disk (only using about 8) alloted to it.

As you're running Vista, leaving it less than 2Gb for it is going to lead to problems. My guess is that Vista is doing quite a bit of swapping just to manage itself. That coupled with slower IO for the VM will hurt performance. Try reducing your guest RAM to 1024 MB (or 768).

--Andrew