[development] Development platform?

Allister Beharry allister.beharry at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 17:58:12 UTC 2010

Firefox can and does peg the CPU on Windows for no apparent reason
after a while. Try killing Firefox and working without it and see how
it is. But 3 GB is not enough for Vista.
A developer machine should have a minimum 4G RAM and ideally 8,
especially if you're running a VM. I run a Linux image inside
VirtualBox too for development and I don't get any performance issues
on my quad-core with 8GB. Although it doesn't eat up as much resources
as Windows, a full GNOME or KDE desktop environment is very heavy,
especially with all the stuff Ubuntu must pack in. If you don't use a
graphical environment your Linux image memory requirements will barely
scrape 512MB. I use mostly ssh + screen + vim and although the
learning curve is high I'm now very productive with them.

Allister.