[development] using git, create patch with new files

Dave Cohen drupal at dave-cohen.com
Mon Apr 11 17:16:33 UTC 2011

I'm trying, and failing, to create a patch that adds new files to a module.

According to http://drupal.org/node/707484, I should simply run `git add ...` then "Next time you run git diff, these new files will be included as well."  In my experience, this statement is false.

When I run `git status`, I see something like this:

[dave at starbuck fb-3]$ git status
# On branch 6.x-3.x
# Changes to be committed:
#   (use "git reset HEAD <file>..." to unstage)
#
#       new file:   fb.process.inc
#       new file:   fb_tab.js
#
# Changes not staged for commit:
#   (use "git add <file>..." to update what will be committed)
#   (use "git checkout -- <file>..." to discard changes in working directory)
#
#       modified:   README.txt
#       modified:   contrib/fb_example.module
#       modified:   fb.module
#       modified:   fb_canvas.admin.inc
#       modified:   fb_canvas.module
#       modified:   fb_devel.module
#       modified:   fb_settings.inc
#       modified:   fb_tab.admin.inc
#       modified:   fb_tab.info
#       modified:   fb_tab.module
#       modified:   fb_url_rewrite.inc

When I run `git diff`, I see changes to all the modified files, but I do not see the new files.

What am I missing?  Thanks,

-Dave