[development] Drupal 7/8 API Change notification: .gitignore file in repository

Randy Fay randy at randyfay.com
Sun Apr 24 19:56:00 UTC 2011

*We try to notify this list when API changes are made in Drupal, so contrib
and custom developers have a chance to fix their code before they have the
pain of figuring out why it's broken.*

(issue <http://drupal.org/node/917492>) OK, so this isn't really an API
change, but it may affect you in the same way, and since I was involved in
it, I'll 'fess up. We have added a .gitignore file to the git repositories
in Drupal 7 and 8. If you already had a .gitignore file, and the one that
was added does not meet your needs, please see #37 in that
issue<http://drupal.org/node/917492#comment-4386912>for workarounds.

BTW: I will probably announce Drupal *7* api changes should they happen, but
won't be announcing Drupal 8 changes, perhaps ever. We hope to have a much
better technique for this, see Make API Changes in Drupal Core be
Nodes<http://drupal.org/node/648218>.

Thanks,
-Randy

randy at randyfay.com