[development] Workflow: staging server, source control, and the files directory

Brian Vuyk brian at brianvuyk.com
Fri Feb 18 16:41:18 UTC 2011

Ah, I misunderstood.

We take it on a case-by-case basis.

1. The imagecache directory is always excluded, as those are
automagically regenerated anyways if they don't exist. We also exclude
the 'js' and 'css' folders, as putting the aggregated js and css files
in git is pointless.
2. We generally exclude the files directory altogether, and just put up
with broken images on our local dev environments.
3. If absolutely necessary, we may rsync the files directory down to a
dev environment periodically.

We have on occasion tried to keep small copies of the files directory in
git, but we run into problems where nodes are deleted on the site, and
Drupal deletes the corresponding file from the filesystem. However,
having not been removed from git with 'git rm <filename>', someone has
to push the filesystem changes with 'git add -u' to make the files
directory sync properly. Also, we run into the odd issue where files
uploaded by developers on thier local copies conflict with files
uploaded on the staging server (test.txt, anyone?). This often needs
sorting out...

All-in-all, it's extra work with little extra gain, other than prevent
some broken images or file links on the non-canonical copies of the
site, which can be fixed as needed by rsyncing the files directory down
to the non-canonical development copies.

In short, I keep all the site code in git. For anything that's not code
(or part of a code package, such as theme or module images), I try to
leave out unless there is a good reason for inclusion.

Brian