[development] AHAH with fieldsets not rebuilding correctly

Jeff Hartman lists at jeffhartman.com
Sat Feb 19 06:05:17 UTC 2011

Hey list,

I've got a couple forms that use AHAH functions to generate a drop down of states/provinces based on the user's selection in a country drop down menu.

I'm using a very similar method as is found here:
	http://drupal.org/node/331941

One form works fine with fields as $form['country'] and $form['state']. The other form uses fieldsets and those fields get renamed and lose their hierarchy after the form is rebuilt.

So for example, the following fields start out like:
	$form['guest'][1]['country']
	$form['guest'][1]['state']
	$form['guest'][1]['zip']

But after the form is rebuilt with form_builder and drupal_render using:
	$output = drupal_render($form['guest'][1]['state']);
	$output .= drupal_render($form['guest'][1]['zipcode']);

	// Render form output as JSON
	print drupal_json(array('data' => $output, 'status' => true));

The rebuilt fields are logically placed outside of the fieldset and end up as:
	$form_state['guest'][1]['country']
	$form_state['state']
	$form_state['zip']

Thoughts on what might cause that? Thanks for any direction. I've struggled with this for hours!

Jeff