[development] CVS -> GIT

Randy Fay randy at randyfay.com
Tue Feb 22 15:23:37 UTC 2011

Let's be clear here: Tortoise Git <http://code.google.com/p/tortoisegit/> is
just a wrapper on MSysGit <http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/> - Tortoise *
depends* on MSysGit. And both are FOSS (GPL v2). The warning at the top of
the Tortoise Git page is about using *incompatible* versions of MSysGit, and
the correct version to use is listed there. From
http://code.google.com/p/tortoisegit/

It is porting TortoiseSVN to TortoiseGit *The latest release 1.6.3.0*

> *Please avoid use msysgit 1.7.2.3 with 1.5.3.0*

Please install msysgit 1.6.1 or above before install tortoisegit
> http://code.google.com/p/msysgit

That said, IMO it's best to start with the command line and understand the
concepts behind git - echoing what many have said in this thread. Tortoise
Git is a bit of a rehash of Tortoise SVN and tries to keep the interface the
same, even though what's underneath is radically different. That can lead to
some important misunderstandings. However, it's a decent enough product.

-Randy

--
Randy Fay
Drupal Module and Site Development