[development] Drupal Answers: A Stackoverflow/StackExchange site proposal

António P. P. Almeida appa at perusio.net
Mon Jan 31 19:14:29 UTC 2011

On 31 Jan 2011 15h45 WET, shellmultimedia at gmail.com wrote:

> [1 <text/plain; ISO-8859-1 (7bit)>] On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 3:18 AM,
> Stewart Robinson <stewsnooze at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> There has been some chatter on Twitter concerning the future of the
>> forums on drupal.org.
>>
>> I don't want to relight any code wars on keeping it in house or
>> using external solutions but......
>>
>> Here is a well supported stackexchange proposal to provide Drupal
>> answers. I think this would be an ideal replacement for the
>> Drupal.org forums.
>>
>> http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/2978/drupal-answers
>>
>> Please offer your support and commitment to the stackexchange site
>> so we can help new users more efficiently.
>>
>> Any opinions?
>>
>> Stewart Robinson
>> @stewsnooze
>>

> I would much prefer to see this on drupal.org as others have
> mentioned. It's not like it would be _that_ hard to do with Views
> and a few other contrib.  Just needs someone with a bit of time to
> make it happen.

Agreed. I confess that I don't dwell in the d.o forums, I guess the
issue queue is the placeholder for somethings like StackExchange. It
can be improved and made more to the image of SE.

Outsourcing the support to SE is a disastrous move in marketing
terms. It's implicitly admitting that we don't know howto or we're not
keen on creating a venue for quality discussion on d.o. beyond the
issue queue comments.

We have also to consider other competing projects. WP has user forums,
and it's a CMS oriented towards blogging. Drupal has had foruns since
the beginning. Are we throwing the towel and saying we can't fix it?

--- appa