[development] Block blocking

Lee Rowlands (Rowlands Group) contact at rowlandsgroup.com
Mon Jul 18 23:38:50 UTC 2011

one possible approach:
in your code call drupal_set_content('mycustomregion', $content_here);
implement hook_preprocess_page in your module and set $vars['left'] =
$vars['mycustomregion']; - substitute left for the region you're trying
to empty - if this has to work with all themes you might need to be
creative with it and fetch the list of regions for the theme but that's
another can or worms.
if you're calling drupal_set_content in your preprocess_page hook you'll
need to use drupal_get_content (see template_preprocess_page).
disclaimer: untested approach