[development] Drupal core initiatives

Daniel F. Kudwien news at unleashedmind.com
Mon Jun 13 14:22:53 UTC 2011

Hi initiative owners, participants, and developers,

I'd like to urge you to move more or ideally all conversations that are
currently held in private into the public, to this list.

Open brainstorming, roadmap and proposal-style discussions and
conversations are actually what mailing lists still excel in.

- Everyone can chime in.  No one is excluded.
- Threads and sub-topics can be spawned easily, at any time, and are
still tracked by everyone.
- Discussions don't need to be announced, the discussion is the
announcement.

It's debatable whether the Development list is suitable or whether there
should be a separate list.  However, a new list would require
infrastructural changes and everyone to sign up, and regardless of
whether that is going to happen, we have this list here, so let's use it.

Background:

I'm very concerned about the initial and ongoing communication regarding
D8 initiatives.  Major technical discussions happen completely in
private among a few peers only.  Concrete proposals are worked out in
the dark, presented as semi-final to the community, often not including
considerations that led to certain suggested parts/details in a
proposal, leaving little room for actual, open, and friendly
discussions.  Lastly, without some form of public announcement (which
varies these days given Twitter, mailing lists, d.o issues, etc), no one
knows that a post exists somewhere in the first place.

I'm personally trying hard to follow and track all initiative
discussions, and I bet it's not only me.  But given their
diversity/location on d.o and g.d.o, g.d.o's extremely poor
subscriptions system, and the fact that many details aren't discussed in
the public in the first place, it's practically impossible to stay in
the loop.

Most of these private conversations happen in e-mails already.  So it's
merely a matter of changing the recipient for your next mail/reply.
Please do so.

I also bet that most discussions on g.d.o posts would've worked much
better as mailing list threads.  Of course, final conclusive summaries
gathered from discussions still make sense to be posted and updated on
d.o or g.d.o.  But most of the discussions were held in free form, chaos
style brainstorming, partially spawned into sub-discussions, so a
mailing list thread would have worked way better for everyone, since no
one needs to subscribe to track the details.

Thanks,
sun