[development] Drupal core initiatives

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Mon Jun 13 17:00:21 UTC 2011

On 6/13/11 9:50 AM, Greg Knaddison wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 8:35 AM, Gábor Hojtsy<gabor at hojtsy.hu>  wrote:
>> Well, our current approach is to use g.d.o group posts in the Drupal
>> Initiatives group that anyone can sign up for. The group is at
>> http://groups.drupal.org/drupal-initiatives
>
> Yes and no.
>
> I agree with Daniel's concern that too much of this is happening in
> closed venues, often with the claim that it's the only way to get
> things done. And I think even you, Gabor, share a bit of this concern
> based on your tweet from three hours ago -
> http://twitter.com/#!/gaborhojtsy/status/80225914683785216
>
> I won't say the mailing list is the right place, but I do think it's
> important to consider more perspectives than simply the insider
> groups. In my opinion the best way to do that is to have discussions
> out in the open.
>
>> From personal observation I believe Greg Dunlap is spending a
> significant effort on seeking and synthesizing feedback and I
> encourage everyone to do the same.
>
> Greg

For the WSCCI initiative I also have been having most architectural
discussions on the WSCCI g.d.o group, or if they happen in IRC or at a
camp or similar posting summaries to the group afterward.  (Not always
immediately, but as soon as I am able.)  Pretty much the entire history
for the past year+ is documented there.  The landing page of the group
is not as useful as I'd like, I agree, which is on my todo list to fix.

The CMI sprint last week was very productive, and we have a writeup with
the results that is in progress.  It should be going live in the next
day or two.  We wanted to get a good night's sleep before sanity
checking it for release. :-)

I don't believe that simply dumping everything from all five initiatives
to this list would be a constructive way to communicate, unless it is
used only for announcement purposes with links off to g.d.o (since that
and the issue queues are all we've got right now).

--Larry Garfield