[development] Git best practices for client codebases

larry at garfieldtech.com larry at garfieldtech.com
Tue Mar 1 20:17:42 UTC 2011

Unless there's something new in the packager I've not seen yet, using
d.o pulls in production bypasses the packager.  That is, you're then
missing:

- The full version information in the info file, which is used by update
manager.
- The License.TXT file that every module is supposed to have.

Is that no longer the case?  I'm pretty sure both of those still only
happen with a tarball, so if you want those (and I do) then you need to
use a tarball.

Also, if you want to manage both core and contrib modules that way it
means you are now using git submodules, which it's generally agreed suck
AFAIK, or complex sub-tree merging that is out of reach of 99% of
developers.  Hell, I've done it and I don't want to do it. :-)

Shallow clones are fine for removing disk size, certainly.  But there's
workflow considerations there that I don't believe Git solves (at least
not yet).  If I'm not doing site-specific or company-specific branches
of core or modules (that is, hacking core or hacking modules, which is a
no-no in 95% of cases), then the extra patch-level control that the more
complex all-Git approach would allow is useless because I'm not even
using it.

I'm not saying there are no use cases for an all-git-all-the-time site
building process, just that it has implications that you're glossing
over in return for a benefit that the majority of use cases don't even need.

--Larry Garfield