[development] Git best practices for client codebases

Sam Boyer drupal at samboyer.org
Wed Mar 2 06:10:54 UTC 2011

On 3/1/11 12:17 PM, larry at garfieldtech.com wrote:
> Unless there's something new in the packager I've not seen yet, using
> d.o pulls in production bypasses the packager.  That is, you're then
> missing:
>
> - The full version information in the info file, which is used by update
> manager.
> - The License.TXT file that every module is supposed to have.
>
> Is that no longer the case?  I'm pretty sure both of those still only
> happen with a tarball, so if you want those (and I do) then you need to
> use a tarball.

Ah yes, I definitely was glossing over these - sorry. Mike addressed the
version information necessary for deployment; git_deploy takes care of
that, and that really is an absolutely CRUCIAL piece. In fact, if some
of the additions we'd been talking about went in...well, let's just say
it's quite clever :)

The license file, though...maybe there's something I don't know, but is
there some compelling legal reason that that file actually needs to be
present with files deployed on a client site?

> Also, if you want to manage both core and contrib modules that way it
> means you are now using git submodules, which it's generally agreed suck
> AFAIK, or complex sub-tree merging that is out of reach of 99% of
> developers.  Hell, I've done it and I don't want to do it. :-)

Git submodules don't suck across the board. They only suck if you try to
use them for the wrong purpose - namely, general dev. Which is what most
people try to use them for, and then get frustrated. However, they can
be *very* effective as part of a strategy for developing a real client
site, where you actually do want to record submodule updates in the
parent repo (e.g., when you update a set of modules from upstream, you
reflect that in the parent repo with a commit of all the updated
submodules).

Yes, subtrees are a doozy that don't ever enter most folks' repertoire.
But plain, nested git repos (that just ignore each other) works
delightfully well. They can't rebuild themselves on new servers, but if
your deployment strategy is rsync, that's moot.

> Shallow clones are fine for removing disk size, certainly.  But there's
> workflow considerations there that I don't believe Git solves (at least
> not yet).

OK, there's potential for discussion there. What sort of workflow
considerations?

  If I'm not doing site-specific or company-specific branches
> of core or modules (that is, hacking core or hacking modules, which is a
> no-no in 95% of cases), then the extra patch-level control that the more
> complex all-Git approach would allow is useless because I'm not even
> using it.

A no-no in general, sure, but if one diligently works in Git across the
board, it becomes considerably less dangerous.

Also - not yet widely understood != more complex. I think the all-Git
approach is more the former than the latter.

> I'm not saying there are no use cases for an all-git-all-the-time site
> building process, just that it has implications that you're glossing
> over in return for a benefit that the majority of use cases don't even
> need.

The majority of use cases don't need...until suddenly, they do. Because
maybe a year later you, or some other shop who inherits the work, needs
to verify the state all the modules (or worse, core) is in, and do some
emergency updates. Being able to understand the state of your tree in
the context of the full upstream history gives you a stable baseline for
verification.

Drupal systems (packaging, drush make, etc.) have always been pretty
good at getting the right code in place to start with. It's ensuring the
right code is still in place later on that we suck at. So yeah -
all-git-all-the-time might be a wash when a site build is doing well.
But when you're up shit creek, there's no better paddle.