[development] Tips for a new developer

Victor Kane victorkane at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 09:41:38 UTC 2011

It is very much a development question, since it goes to the heart of the
"deployment" problem in Drupal.

Support is how to use Drupal.

Robert is not asking how to actually write a module or how to run simple
test. Robert is asking about how to set up a best practices workflow,
specifically, TDD, in Drupal.

In order to answer Robert's question, we need to honestly state the problem
and help give the solution.

Problem: read carefully the "deployment" section in Eaton's great essay:
http://angrylittletree.com/11/01/drupal-8-road-ahead

<http://angrylittletree.com/11/01/drupal-8-road-ahead>Solution: Read the
articles in the bibliography to my article
http://awebfactory.com.ar/node/458 If you are interested in my own thoughts
you can read my article.

There are three approaches to everything in code workflow (which is what you
need):

* Features module based approach, carefully taking into account the
unadvertised pitfalls therein (see the funnymonkey articles for their
statement of the problem and the solution; see the sachachua article for
excellent ideas; see the nuvole article for excellent real world developer
approaches also (they are going to present at DrupalCon on this))
* Write all your applications as installation profiles, then deploy content
using the deploy module; use the everything in code bricks features relies
upon (views in code, etc., even taxonomy in code).
* Use the deploy module with a features based approach.

The deploy module assigns UUID's to nodes, etc. in Drupal, and on that basis
the deployment problem is solved, actually. Should be in core.

Welcome to the community, Robert, once you choose your workflow, you will be
able to arrive at a process you are comfortable with.

Victor Kane
http://awebfactory.com.ar
http://projectflowandtracker.com