[development] use multi site or not?

nan wich nan_wich at bellsouth.net
Fri Mar 11 00:33:15 UTC 2011

I've done many multisites but the only time I've shared tables was for testing
on a module I wrote. I have backup / development copies of all my sites on my PC
and they are all in a single instance of whichever core they run on.

There is an alternative: it's called Domain_access, which is specifically for
portal sites.

It sounds like the only thing a multisite will give you is only one core or
contrib upload to do. This is both good and bad.

Nancy

________________________________

From: Pooya
I've done a few sites using drupal but never a multi. I got this new customer
who wants me to make a huge portal website for manchester united team. It's a
multi language site, which contains 2 sub-sites: Manchester United and England
national football team(default is manchester). after lots of talking over
content and features, I found out that they need all galleries, news, menus,
front-page and other features to be different for each team. This needs 2
different themes at least(each with two language rtl and ltr). here's a shot:
http://016.img98.net/out.php/i75495_1.png

To be honest I prefer a framework like CI for such a thing and if using drupal
avoid multi-sites cause I don't have enough experience with.
My question here is what if I don't want to use multi-sites and share some
tables. Drupal's a good choice? Have you ever tried to do such a thing? any
strategy? anything would help me hear rly.

PS. I want to use drupal because of real good community, and the ability which
makes me do this real fast(I want to end this project in less than 2month max).
Also developing's much easier, they may ask for more features in like a year
after site's done. I have lots of trouble these days adding features to old
projects.
--

Pooya Sanooei