[development] #drupal and #drupal-contribute split (Was: Re: Proposal: Move all dev support off this list to new StackExchange site)

Sam Tresler sam at treslerdesigns.com
Fri Mar 18 22:23:19 UTC 2011

Honestly I don't think anyone currently active in the Drupal community could be framed as more curmedgeonly than myself, but if you want to fight for the title it might be entertaining ;)

I think I could phrase "This isn't about you" better.  It wasn't meant to target you-you, but you as a developer.  I was taking your personal story, applying it as what I imagine many developers who made the same choice you did felt and saying, This isn't about developers vs. non-developers, and I feel the question of "How do we make it a good place for developers to work?" isn't the right question.  No, I wasn't trying to personally invalidate the experience you bring to the table, although I can see how specifically stating exactly that might have confused people.  I'll sit hear and chew on my foot a while.

I guess what I am ultimately saying, is we keep saying This *or* that.  Would it be helpful to take a little of our thought process and say, "what if?".  I mean, we have a goal here, right?

How do we make an infrastructure that supports newcomers, facilitates developers, concentrates on non-disruptive integration of factions, and keeps our community strong?"  When I say 'you won't please everybody' I mean it, but I feel like the current conversation is please A or please B, there is no C.

Throw both those models out, and lets figure out what we actually want.

-Sam

Sam Tresler
646-246-8403