[development] IRC changeover to XMPP?

Andrew Berry andrewberry at sentex.net
Sat Mar 19 14:42:52 UTC 2011

On 2011-03-19, at 12:49 AM, Liam McDermott wrote:

> Sounds like an interesting idea, what are the benefits of using a Jabber server over IRC? Or are you just suggesting this change, 'for the lulz'?

With IRC, we are hosted by freenode. Not only does freenode host us, but virtually any other open source project as well. There's a real advantage for someone in #ubuntu (for example) to simply be able to join a Drupal room with no extra setup. I'm not aware of any XMPP hosts for open source projects on the scale of what freenode does, but I'd be interested to hear about any if they exist.

--Andrew