[development] #drupal and #drupal-contribute split (Was: Re: Proposal: Move all dev support off this list to new StackExchange site)

David Metzler metzler.dl at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 15:21:31 UTC 2011

What about a simple restructuring the mailing lists and/or chat so that they are tiered?  Drive noob developers to the support list first, then use the devel list only as an escalation point.

support - A list for support questions, including installation and configuration issues as well as help in developing contrib modules for drupal.   Ask here first.

development - A list to talk about development strategies or advanced development topics.  Only ask questions here if you can't get your answer on the support forum.

I don't think anyone heard me when I said that right now if you look at our mailing list page, we drive people who are doing development to this list for their support.   A simple fix on that page would be to actually tell people that if you want help coding something, you should try the support list first.

Myself I like XMPP better, because my work still blocks IRC for some silly reason.   But that being said, I don't think chat IRC scales well for following multiple conversations.   When I'm working with individual developers on a project I tend to ask them to skype chat me.