[development] #drupal and #drupal-contribute split (Was: Re: Proposal: Move all dev support off this list to new StackExchange site)

John Fiala jcfiala at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 16:39:13 UTC 2011

On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 12:45 PM, Angela Byron
<drupal-devel at webchick.net> wrote:

> Yes, this *absolutely* happened with D7. It was an *incredibly* small "core" group of < 20-30 people who resulted in Drupal 7 ever actually shipping. Post-code freeze, which more-or-less coincided with this IRC policy change, I can think of only a small handful of new contributors who came on board who were not already involved previously.
>
> Now, since there's really no way to quantify data around this, it's difficult to say what percentage of this lack of contributors phenomenon was related to this policy change, what was the "post-code freeze blues", how much of it is steeper requirements to get a core patch in (e.g. tests, subsystem maintainer sign-off), how much of it is the fact that certain members of our community were paid to care about bugs (e.g. Acquians and Examiner.comians) and others weren't, or what exactly the breakdown there was. I'm sure all of these, and more, were factors.

Ah... when I first read this it really upset me, so I went on and read
some other stuff next.  I tried to help out with Drupal 7 here and
there... but one change wasn't wanted, and another critical issue I
tried to help with - a lot of the critical issues were dreadfully
complex to someone not soaking in the project - got bikeshedded to
death and pushed down out of critical, so I walked away from Drupal 7
development.  It's not all IRC.  Some of it is just... something else.
 Maybe it's because I'm a shoddy person to work on core, and I need to
learn more (what, I'm not sure) before I'm welcome to help out with
it, but it's not all people hiding away in #drupal-contribute.

--
John Fiala
www.jcfiala.net