[development] #drupal and #drupal-contribute split (Was: Re: Proposal: Move all dev support off this list to new StackExchange site)

jeff at ayendesigns.com jeff at ayendesigns.com
Sun Mar 20 17:00:25 UTC 2011

I agree. I would have loved to contribute directly to D7. I found a
level of...discomfort overall. I've was coding when many of you were
first learning to count, so it's not the php I'm uncomfortable with.

I think part of it is coming upon a group that have been together so
long that they're clique-ish, not meaning to be and not in a bad way,
but they know their routine and topic and each other so well that
everything is in shorthand, and it's great for being a voyeur but
daunting to a new guy. The other part is some discomfort with the
fast-paced immediacy of #drupal-contribute when combined with being a
newbie to core, like jumping on a fast ride that's already moving.

I would have felt more secure about it even with something as small as
some color coding on open issues that signified "this one is probably
good for a core newbie."