[development] DevScore Module

Greg Knaddison greg at growingventuresolutions.com
Thu Mar 24 15:39:56 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 8:57 AM, Fred Jones <fredthejonester at gmail.com> wrote:
> Can I ask a question? This new module
> http://drupal.org/sandbox/robertcfi/1104066 says it's a sandbox, but
> it also says "This module is currently in production" in the text. My
> guess is that it will go nowhere (it is his first module also),

Yep.

> but
> does anyone else think the criteria for scores are *ludicrous*?

Not entirely, but a little bit.

> Since when is a site with more nodes and more modules and more users
> any "better" than a site with less?
>
> Should be obvious but a specialty site may be optimized and beautiful
> and in all ways built "perfectly" yet have a small user base and of
> course a small number of modules and nodes, yet far "better" than a
> big fat site slapped together with 1000 modules that serve only to
> SLOW it down.

Sure it's true that measuring a site (or the site developers) by these
metrics is not a complete way to measure the site's' value. And it
would be easy to mess with the score by creating a bunch of modules
with a .info file and an empty .module file...

But taken in aggregate across a bunch of sites it could be a
reasonably useful metric. If we want to compare developer's skills or
the quality of sites in a scalable automated way then we have to base
it on some metrics that may not be perfect but are reasonably proxies
for real measures of skill.

> And also, since when does one have to know SEO to be a good developer?!??

I've always considered that part of my job as a web developer,
probably because the topic interested me and I learned Drupal and SEO
at the same time. Increasingly I consider user experience to be part
of my job. Naturally if I'm working with a team that has an SEO or UX
expert on it I will defer to them but when I am working without that
benefit or before they get a chance to review I consider it my job to
follow at least some best practices from "other disciplines."

> Perhaps this is offtopic. Sorry. :(

Not at all!

> PS: At least ranting made me feel better.

That is good. If you want to rant more you should see the consulting
list where that seems to be the main purpose. (and now *that* snark
made *me* feel better).

Cheers,
Greg

--