[development] Drupal 7 CCK fields in separate tables - why?

Ernst Plüss ernst.pluess at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 05:55:39 UTC 2011

I know of two reasons why this is:

1. You can have different revisions by field.
2. You can translate by field

By normalizing the DB tables this is much easier to accomplish.

BUT: You are right DB performance, especially write performance is
very bad. I've seen a big drupal project failing because we had about
300 DB tables for a lot of fields.

If you have big and complex data structures the standard field
implementation of Drupal 7 will not make you happy. I think you have
the following options:

1. Use MongoDB. There is a fields storage engine module in Drupal 7.
The only problem I see is much less mature DB system than MySql or
Postgress DB.
2. User entities API. This is of course much more work, especially if
you have to write alle the views and may be fields integration.
3. Look for something else then Drupal. Currently we go for Ruby on
Rails with Hobo for projects with a lot (>10-200) business entities.

HTH
Ernst