[development] File upload and convert

Chris Miller cjm at tryx.org
Tue Nov 27 00:32:39 UTC 2012

Hi Folks,

I have a content type with TWO file fields, in which I will designate TWO PDFs. On upload completion I want to run something like: "exec(pdftk f1.pdf background f2.pdf output f1.pdf)". This will "brand" f1.pdf.

I don't see any standard mechanism and so I'm not sure how to go about this. I have a general understanding, but that doesn't answer the question. I am sure I don't want to intercept all possible uploads; just the uploads from this specific content type. So, can I define a file upload hook which is scoped to this specific content type? I haven't seen anything that makes me believe I can. Can I create a custom file field to use any time I need to perform a conversion? Can my custom file field "extend" the existing file field, so I don't have to port improvements/bugfixes to my custom file field version?

So many questions... (-:

Thanks for the help,

Chris.