[drupal-docs] Developing vs Empowering : Or how the wording inside Drupal/CS affects a sites design

Lucy Perry lucyp at infovisions.org
Mon May 9 04:39:09 UTC 2005

Liza, I agree with your sentiments about usability, even though I am not
exactly sure what you are asking for.

You want to have books enabled but not have book page appear as a "node
type" on the "create content" page?

The current list of content types just pulls all enabled node types and
puts them in alphabetical order.

If I was going to change this, I would probably find the place where the
code automatically generates this list in the node_add function. This is
in the node module, around line 1307 in my version 0.8.0.2

And I would ditch that list created by node_list() function and create
my own custom list instead. (Leave the node_list() function as is
because it is used in other places, but just put together a similar list
yourself.)

Here's the code as I changed it:

 else {
    // If no (valid) node type has been provided, display a node type
overview.
 //LP edit here to make custom list of content types
   // foreach (node_list() as $type) {//ditch this auto generated list
  $custom_arr = array('blog','story','image');//generate custom array
instead of the one from node_list()
   foreach($custom_arr as $type){//run through custom array
      if (node_access('create', $type)) {
        $out = '<li>';
        $out .= ' '. l(node_invoke($type, 'node_name'),
"node/add/$type", array('title' => t('Add a new %s.', array('%s' =>
node_invoke($type, 'node_name')))));
        $out .= " <div style=\"margin-left: 20px;\">". implode("\n",
module_invoke_all('help', 'node/add#'. $type)) .'</div>';
        $out .= '</li>';
        $item[node_invoke($type, 'node_name')] = $out;
      }
    }

    if (isset($item)) {
      //ksort($item); LP edit: don't sort in alphabetical order
      $output = t('Choose the appropriate item from the list:') .'<ul>'.
implode('', $item) .'</ul>';
    }

Now to change the little blurb that tells what each "node type" is, you
have to find that piece within each module. You can do this by just
searching for the exact text within the module. For example I did a
search in the image module for " An image you can insert into nodes, or
see in image galleries." and I found the place where I can change the
text.

Hope this helps.

- Lucy