[drupal-docs] Application documentation sprint

Charlie Lowe cel4145 at cyberdash.com
Tue May 10 06:24:35 UTC 2005

In the interest of the documentation sprint notice that was posted on
drupal.org earlied today, I spent a couple of hours this evening doing
some revising.  I would encourage everyone else to slow down on the
other discussion and step up to the plate :)

My formatting may not be consistent, but here it is, added into the wiki
pages new versions for admin/help :)

I've revised drupal.module, book.module, and locale.module:

* drupal.module was missing information about the DrupalID and was a
little geekified

* book.module is now a little more concise and less "terminology" heavy.

* locale.module now describes how to create an alternative language and
is less new language creation-centric (i.e., it doesn't just pitch
itself as a way to translate a site).

Also added some docs for notify, private message and trackbacks by
revising some of the civicspace guide documentation
(http://test2.cyberdash.net/?q=node/2):

*notify is pretty self explanatory on the admin page, so the description
is fairly short. same with private message.

Other things:

* Someone might want to take a look at the taxonomy.module help docs. I
created the handbook version of taxonomy help a while back:

http://drupal.org/node/299 (see sub pages, too)

It was never updated into the admin help. It's definitely more detailed.

* If there is a large concentrated effort here, and Kieran can get this
into Drupal core 4.6 as an update (why not; it's not code), it would be
great to see if Dries would release a 4.6.1 version as soon as it's
committed. That way the documentation gets out there asap. Ought to help
minimize support just a little.

Anyway, gotta go for now. That's my contribution. I'm trying to write a
100 pages of dissertation this month (I've only got about 30 so far), so
it's unlikely you'll see me writing documentation tomorrow.

Charlie

BTW: My personal opinion is that the collaborative book works much
better for this than the wiki. I normally just compose in Dreamweaver
(or sometimes Nvu) and then just cut and paste the code. The wiki
requires too much hand formatting. Or at least, an HTML wiki would be
much easier.