[drupal-docs] Regarding the drupal help documentation

Dan Robinson dan at civicactions.com
Tue May 10 16:34:32 UTC 2005

Below please find a thread regarding the effort to improve the Drupal
help system.  Please excuse my lack of knowledge, stupidity and refusal
to do thorough research before jumping into this matter - but I wanted
to *do* something and now that I have I feel like we can have a
conversation about it.  I'm copying a thread from over in CSL land - for
reasons that I think are unfortunate, but obvious - comments welcome -

Hello all,

Welcome to my world! :)

I have been on/off list with Kieran regarding the documentation project
(and my participation).  I feel strongly that we should have this
conversation on-list.  I really applaud Kieran's efforts to make this a
cleaner more friendly and effective process, however I also want to make
sure that the community has a chance to learn from this dialog (and that
I have a chance to learn from all of you).  Some may feel that this is
all too raw - I would suggest you just skip over it if that is the case
and see what we come up with later.  For those of you with input I would
be really interested to hear what you have to say.  First some background -

After being a total pain to Kieran on this list I decided I better
actually *do* something, otherwise my credibility would sink even lower
:).  So I wrote the following last night -

http://dev.bryght.com/t/wiki/BlockHelp

I didn't understand how to make the text any less complete than it is
and still have it be useful.  I got a perfectly reasonable response from
Kieran this morning - to the effect that it is too long - not
surprising, here's my (longwinded) response:

I have no problem with this being cut up - yes it is long - however I
would argue that this is an appropriate length to describe the
functionality of these screens in the "help" section.  My experience
with this stuff is that there isn't much place for a "quick" guide -
either you understand what is going on or you don't.  The "quick"
explanations are frustratingly terse and simply bring up more questions
than they answer - in general if you can understand the help screens
then you don't need to be reading them.

Again - I'm not trying to be difficult - but I'm pretty sure I'm right
about this.  That being said I would love it if you or someone else
could edit this down and come up with a complete yet shorter description
of th functionality.  Another thing that is woefully missing is a link
between the "Help" documentation and a way to get more documentation.
In short I believe that the current "in drupal" help concept is broken -

1) Shouldn't be hardcoded in the code (or at least should be broken out
into its own php file with some sort of "override" mechanism).
2) Should be more complete - I think the "short help" concept simply
doesnt' work for this application.
3) Needs to be a navigable part of a larger whole (i.e. linked into a
comprehensive help system).

I realize that this may be out of scope - but I don't believe in
half-measures when something is as broken as this.  I'm happy to be
proven wrong and I can certainly get with the program once I get
situated correctly. I would recommend the next steps:

1) Someone should edit down what I've got - I will either disagree or
see the error of my ways - then I can start to kick out the short
descriptions as you envision them.
2) I may never agree - in which case you should feel free to use my copy
in any way you see fit - I would be honored.
3) Buy me a beer and get me with the program.

Again - kudos for taking on such a rough project - and don't get me
wrong - I'm on your side ;).

Lastly - this converstation belongs at drupal-docs - not here :)

Dan