[drupal-docs] Marketing subset of Team Documentation

Andre Molnar mcsparkerton at yahoo.co.uk
Sat May 14 16:51:04 UTC 2005

Charlie Lowe wrote:
> Boris Mann wrote:
>
>>I was just reading through some recent edits to the "features"
>>section and came to the realization that the writing for that
>>particular section needs to be completely different than documentation.

> These key terms probably target web designers and developers only. For
> other audiences--an IT administrator interested in implementing Drupal
> for his infrastructure but not sure what it does, an individual user on
> the web looking for a personal weblog or community blog who may know a
> little about blogging and wants to find out how Drupal is similar to
> what she knows, a casual visitor who keeps hearing of Drupal but doesn't
> know anything about it--these are probably not their mostly like main
> interests first. That doesn't mean they aren't important, but I think
> there's a better pitch.
<snip>

Here is one major point to keep in mind.  You have a market - and within
that market you have segments.  No single message is going to
effectively target all of your market segments.

All marketing is about the providing unique value proposition to
potential customers.  What are the needs of your customers?  What is the
  benefit of your product that meets those needs?  NOTE THAT BENEFIT IS
VERY DIFFERENT FROM FEATURES.

The needs and corresponding benefits are different for each of your
market segments.

What a web-designer is looking for is different from what a web
application developer is looking for.  What a forum admin is looking for
is different from what a blog admin is looking for.  And so on.

The great thing about the web of course is that it doesn't cost more to
add more copy to a web site that covers each and every one of your
target market segments.  In fact there is nothing stopping you from not
only providing a pitch to each segment, but a pitch to different
personality types within each segment.

The personae being developed as a guide on how to write documentation
are even more useful in developing marketing strategies.  Each persona
is a different market segment with different core needs.  There are
unique benefits of Drupal that resonate with ALL of these segments, but
there are other unique benefits that will only resonate with each of the
individual personae.

Stable
Supported
Here to Stay

These are the three primary factors for CONSIDERING Drupal (or any other
open source project) as a solution.  If these three points are not
communicated, then people won't bother to read on.  All three offer the
same 'benefit' to people i.e. "Reliability"

Open Source

This point is important but is not a deal maker.  The connotations of
Open Source appeal more to some people than others.  More importantly
"Open Source" is not a benefit - its a feature.  What are the benefits
of Open Source?  That is what needs to be communicated!  Luckily there
is more than one benefit of open source - so you can target the
different benefits to the different segments.

Standards Compliant

Once again this is a feature and not a benefit.  What is the benefit of
a standards compliant product?  Which segments of your market does that
benefit appeal to the most?  If your are doing this exercise in your
head right now it should be obvious that this particular feature and its
associated benefits are not globally applicable to all segments - and
therefore it might not be the kind of thing you go on about in your
primary pitch.  (yes use it, but don't make it front and center).

***

Off the top of my head I could likely rattle off 50 different Drupal
features.  Which likely means that there are 200 or more individual
features of Drupal if I sat down and really thought about it.  These all
need to be boiled down to benefits - and those are what need to be
communicated in the marketing material.

Sorry for the rant - I think that this is important.

I'm sure the bryte guys and the civic space folk have already done many
of these exercises (determining benefits and developing their own
marketing strategies based on that).  I've done a few myself.  Its
certainly in all our mutual benefit to contribute our work to market
Drupal in general.  More Drupal users = more paid work for Bryte,
Civicspace, Be Circle and everyone else that has Drupal in part (or all)
of their business model.

So, I'm willing to make a contribution by helping identify the benefits.
  I'm not the best copy writer in the world - so I can't provide pages
and pages of polished pitches - but those that are talented copy writers
will have a much easier time if they know what they should be writing
about :-)

andre