[drupal-docs] plans for moving forward with Drupal docs

Boris Mann borismann at gmail.com
Thu May 19 08:31:08 UTC 2005

On 19-May-05, at 1:20 AM, Kieran Lal wrote:

> On May 18, 2005, at 9:10 PM, Charlie Lowe wrote:
>
> I'll wait to respond to 2 and 3 when you send out details on them
> later this morning.
>
>> 1) Where does documentation created by the drupal-doc team reside and
>> get constructed? This would include guidelines for producing
>> documentation, admin/help, handbook text, etc.
>
> Good, let's make the move to Drupal.  Textile has the same learning
> curve as a wiki so that should meet the ease of use need.  It
> translates to valid xhtml so we should be able to extract that some
> how.

Textile is not going to get used on Drupal.org. It is expected that
the doc team will be able to either do the (simple) HTML markup (link
tags and lists, for the most part, since we aren't going to be doing
a bunch of headings), or users enter in plain text and the doc team
revises with markup.

> We are going to need a place for organic growth and that means
> people should not need special permission to create pages.  Create
> a sandbox directory or what ever, but we need that ability to get
> spontaneous contributions as well as freely edit each others work.
> I think all of that is possible with Drupal, but it might be worth
> a tutorial for everybody.

Not possible with current permissions on Drupal.org -- anonymous
users edit, and their edit gets put in the submission queue, and we
have no way of being notified of new items in the submission queue
other than manually checking the queue on Drupal.org. I agree with
the spontaneous contribution sentiment. Put it on the tech wish list.

> Most of the documentation that is created by this team has been in
> emails.  The documentation forum does not appear to be synced with
> the drupal-docs mailing list.  Could we make that happen?

Magic 8 ball says unlikely on Drupal.org (i.e. up to Dries, and since
it requires installing contrib modules...).

--
Boris Mann
http://www.bmannconsulting.com